Saturday, July 9, 2011

Divergent - Veronica Roth

"Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me. But if I saw her, I wouldn't recognize her.” -Beatrice(Tris)


Title: Divergent
Series: Divergent series 1
Author: Veronica Roth
My Rating: A+

Summary: 

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris, and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together, they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes-fascinating, sometimes-exasperating boy fits into the life she’s chosen.
But Tris also has a secret: one she’s kept hidden from everyone, because she’s been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly-perfect society, she also learns that her secret might be what helps her save those she loves . . . or it might be what destroys her.

Review: (I like to be able to talk about parts of the book, so reviews most likely have spoilers in them.)
I just finished DIVERGENT and to tell you the truth, I'm quite impressed. Of all the things I've read, this one just blew my mind. And what really killed me is that the end was a HUGE cliff-hanger. The thought of having to wait to read the second book, well, it kills me knowing I will have to wait a year to read it. 
First off, I loved Four(whoops, Tobias ;), although at sometimes I wanted to slap him. Other times, I had to swoon about him. He just had so many personalities, I just didn't know what to say or do at times. He really is a dream character. Beatrice(Tris) was well established as well. She kind of reminded me of Katniss in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, she was brave and outgoing and she wanted to improve. She wouldn't give up. The book itself reminded me of Matched by Ally Condie. Because of the way they run things. Each kind of have the same idea going on with how people make choices and how Cassia and Tris were both similar, even though they are really nothing alike.
I could feel the adrenaline whenever Tris did something new that was just crazy. It made me want to jump off a train unto the roof of a building(ahem, not that I did...). But sometimes I just had to shake my head and laugh thinking that I would never have the guts to do it. 
The end of the book really hit me. Tris's parents gave their lives for her. Well, not just for her, but for her brother and everyone who was fighting. The only problem I had with this book is that when Tobias was pretty much a robot, he just all of a sudden 'woke up'. I thought it just happened like BAM! and he was back. But, I don't have that big of a problem with that. I guess, it's just something that didn't really make sense to me. 
But all in all; It was an amazing read! Roth definitely has a great writing skill!

No comments:

Post a Comment